Thursday, October 13, 2011

Owning a Vacation Home on Ambergris Caye - How to be a Part Time Residence

One of the most common purchases to make here is that of a condo or home for use as a vacation home. Most of my clients don't plan to live here full time for several years if ever. So the question comes up "How long can I stay in Belize?"

Here is the answer: When you arrive into the country your passport is stamped for a 30 day visa. If you want to stay longer then 30 days then all you need to do is to go to any immigration department with your passport and pay $25 U.S. and they will stamp you good for another 30 days.

You can keep doing this for as long as you'd like. If you stay for more then 6 months the fee goes up to $50 U.S. for each additional 30 days.

I've known many vacation home owners to come down every year for 3-6 months a year who have been doing this for 5, 10 and 15 or more years in a row.

Once you know that you want to become a permanent resident of Belize and stay here for long stretches at a time and come and go as you please then its worth it to look at getting your "Permanent Residency Stamp". It's not hard to get and doesn't cost much and once you have it its good for life.

I would say about half of all of my clients will end up with some type of permanent residency at some point, but in the meantime all they do is make the quick trip upstairs to see immigration once a month.

P.S. - The immigration office is located right about our RE/MAX Island Real Estate office across from Tropic Air.


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites